Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Musing: Mobile Technology

One of the things that is always on my mind is how can I keep myself mobile, without the need to carry around a laptop. For a few years I have kept it in the back of my mind that my smartphone would be perfect for this, however previous models didn't quite do everything that I needed. I can say, this is no longer the case with the Droid.

I am writing this sitting in a Chipotle and using my foldout keyboard on my Motorola Droid. I am using the wireless tether that I hacked previously to connect my iPod Touch online so I can play Scrabble (until there is a native Droid version that is). I am using the GDocs application to write this (although I have a few other text editors that save locally instead of "in the cloud"). Using the Droid Meebo app, I can stay connected to coworkers via IM. Since the Droid multitasks, I can have the IM, email, tether app, and a few other things running simultaneously. The only thing I lack here is VOIP via WiFi, which I suspect will be simplified enough soon enough. I think my next tasks here are to try to run a modified BIRT Designer. Then I can do some rudimentary troubleshooting on BIRT reports when not at my desk.

I couldn't do all this 5 years ago on the Razr, or last year with the Touch/Vogue. The difference between mobile and desktop is closing. I wonder how businesses deal with the security issues with this new found mobility?

1 comment:

Three Wolf Moon TShirt said...

Cool post. Ive never known about this.. thanks a lot.